Guidelines for Manuscript Submissions
For all submissions
- We do not accept previously published work (either in print or online).
- Use a standard, easy-to-read typeface (for example, Arial or Times).
- List title(s) and include a brief bio in cover letter. Do not staple work.
- Include name, address, telephone number, email address, and the page number on each page.
- Do not send revisions unless our editors have requested them.
- Allow 8 to 16 weeks for a response. We thank you in advance for your patience.
- All inquiries about submissions must be made via email or U.S. mail.
- Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) (No. 10 or larger) or sufficient International Reply Coupons for reply only. No work will be returned.
- Submissions may be made electronically to email@example.com
- Submissions made in the body of an email will not be considered. Please submit each work as a Word document attachment.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions if informed. We expect prompt notification if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- Manuscripts may be withdrawn until an issue enters the typesetting process.
- Authors and artists receive two copies of the issue in which their work appears.
- Additional copies may be purchased at substantial savings.
- Translations are welcome, and should be accompanied by a copy of the original text. Translators are responsible for author’s permission.
- The MacGuffin is copyrighted. Upon publication, all rights revert to authors. We appreciate acknowledgement as first place of publication.
- We consider traditional, formal, free verse, and experimental poetry.
- Poems can be up to 400 lines.
- There are no subject biases.
- Please do not submit more than five poems at one time.
- Poems should by typed, single-spaced, and one per page.
Fiction and creative non-fiction
- We have no subject biases, though obvious pornographic material will not be published.
- Maximum length is 5000 words. Please include word count. Portions of longer works are acceptable if they can stand alone. Please do not submit more than two stories.
- All prose should be typed and double-spaced.
- One submission per envelope/email.
- Submit the best quality image available; that is, original photographs, slides, or artwork. Photocopies or laser outputs scan unevenly, and leave streaks across the image.
- If you want an image cropped, indicate the cropping on a photocopy of the image. Do not crop photos or artwork. We size and crop images electronically.
- Electronic Images should be EPS or TIFF files saved at 300 dpi for photos and 600 (minimum) to 1200 (maximum) dpi for line art.
- Embedded images are not accessible to the page layout software.