Part-Time Faculty Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a part-time instructor?
- What are preference points?
- How do I apply for a part-time faculty position?
- Can a resume be submitted to Human Resources for employment consideration?
- Are photocopies of transcripts acceptable for the application process?
- Are official transcripts required from only the college where the highest degree was earned?
- What is the maximum part-time teaching load?
- What is the compensation for part-time faculty?
- What is the approval to teach?
- What is the interview process?
- Are part-time faculty eligible for benefits?
A part-time instructor teaches on an ‘as needed’ basis, depending on enrollment and preference points.
Preference points are earned for teaching courses; high preference points determine who is called to teach in a particular discipline and determines where an instructor is placed on the salary scale.
Submit a completed and signed employment application, a supplemental resume and photocopies of college transcript(s). Complete the application online. Official transcripts are required if hired.
A resume may be included with the employment application; a resume is not accepted in lieu of the employment application.
For the purpose of application, photocopies of transcripts are accepted. If the applicant is offered a position, official transcripts must be sent directly from schools and college to Human Resources.
If offered employment at Schoolcraft College, official transcripts must be received from all colleges attended.
Provided courses are available, part-time faculty may teach up to 10 contact hours per semester/session.
The 2007/2008 starting rate of pay for new part time faculty is $584 per contact hour or $38.93 per clock hour. A contact hour is one hour of instruction for 15 weeks.
When there is a need to hire part-time faculty, the Assistant/Associate Dean requests applications from Human Resources. Completed applications packets, being held in the potential applicant pool, are forwarded to the Dean for consideration. The Dean reviews the information to determine if the applicant meets the College’s minimum competencies to teach.
Individuals selected for an interview will be contacted by the department.
Part-time faculty may purchase medical insurance through the College’s group insurance. Additionally, part-time faculty who have earned 15 preference points and are currently are eligible for a tuition grant for classes at Schoolcraft College.