|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MUSIC 201||Keyboard Skills for Piano Teachers 1||(2-0) 2 Cr. Hrs.|
This is the first course in the Keyboard Skills for Piano Teachers sequence; it is designed to give piano teachers the necessary keyboard skills for teaching beginning through early intermediate level students. The course will cover technical exercises, harmonization, transposition and sight-reading material using the standards of the Michigan Music Teachers Association, the National Piano Guild and other recognized testing organizations.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Consent of Department.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate scales, arpeggios, chord progressions and technical exercises.
- Demonstrate how to teach scales, arpeggios, chord progressions and technical exercises through the early intermediate level.
- Analyze sight reading material through the early intermediate level.
- Sequence sight reading material through the early intermediate level.
- Develop keyboard harmonization and transposition programs for early intermediate students.
- Demonstrate comprehensive musicianship for early intermediate piano study reflecting state and national standards.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the MUSIC section of the current course schedule for availability.