|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|CAP 295||Salon Competition 1||(2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
Students will participate in a class which will build and refine their culinary skills. This first course will introduce the students to the requirements necessary to successfully compete in culinary competition. Students selected for this class may form the College Culinary Team. A number of field trips and training sessions, off campus, will be scheduled. This is an elective course.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Selection to participate is approved by the Chef Instructors.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Prepare to enter a culinary competition.
- Develop theme based menus.
- Identify quality food displays.
- Prepare the components of a properly balanced food display.
- Prepare the components of a properly designed food display.
- Prepare hot food for competition.
- Demonstrate proper slicing techniques.
- Demonstrate proper portioning techniques.
- Demonstrate basic culinary procedures.
- Demonstrate proper sanitation.
- Develop an action plan for competition.
- Develop prep list for competition.
- Develop equipment list for competition.
- Identify seasonal vegetables.
- Identify seasonal fruits.
- Explore the American Culinary Federation (ACF) website.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the CAP section of the current course schedule for availability.