In order to take online, hybrid and OE/OE courses, or to do computer work for on campus classes from home, you must own or have convenient access to a computer system with the following minimum qualifications:
To determine if one or all of your courses are using Blackboard Learn, review the list on the right column of this page.
- A PC with a minimum of 1GB of RAM.
- A high speed or broadband internet connection such as DSL or Cable. (Dial-up is not sufficient.)
- A CD or DVD drive. (May be required for some courses.)
- A printer.
- Speakers or Headphones.
- A Schoolcraft College email account.
Windows Based Software Requirements
- Windows 7 or higher.
- Microsoft Word 2010 or higher. Microsoft Office 2013 or higher is recommended. (If you use another word processor or spreadsheet program they must be able to open and save files in Word 2010 (.docx) or Excel 2010 (.xlsx) format to be accepted by your instructor.)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or higher, or Mozilla Firefox 31 or higher, Chrome 36** or higher, Microsoft Edge**. (The latest version is recommended. Beta versions are not supported.)
** Google Chrome 42+ and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including java plug-ins. Some features such as Voice Authoring will not function with these browsers.
Macintosh Based Software Requirements
- OS X (10.5 “Leopard”) or higher.
- Microsoft Office v. X for Mac or higher. (If you use another word processor or spreadsheet program they must be able to open and save files in Word or Excel format to be accepted by your instructor.)
- Safari 6.0 or higher, or Mozilla Firefox 31 or higher, Chrome 36** or higher. (The latest version is recommended.)
** Google Chrome 42+ does not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including java plug-ins. Some features such as Voice Authoring will not function with this browser.
- Some courses require Windows emulation software such as Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or Virtual PC; a licensed copy of Windows 7 or higher; and the appropriate Windows based software packages.
- Some courses require specific software packages. Check the additional requirements to ensure you have what is needed for a particular course.
- For the most recent information regarding browser and operating system compatibility with Blackboard, view the supported browsers and operating systems page as there are some combinations of older operating systems and newer browsers and vice-versa that are unsupported.
- Do NOT use mobile devices to submit course work or take exams as unexpected results may occur. Blackboard does provide apps for Android, Blackberry and iPhone OS called Mobile Learn and BB Student. Features and functions of these apps may not match the full Blackboard Learn including the ability to successfully take exams.